A Westminster man suspected of fatally striking a pedestrian and leaving the scene was arrested at a bar in Westminster.
A male adult pedestrian was crossing Springdale Street in Westminster on Wednesday, April 17, around 8:20 p.m. The victim was walking outside of a marked crosswalk. He was struck by a black Dodge ram truck. The driver fled the scene on foot. There was a passenger in the truck. The passenger remained at the scene and assisted in the police investigation.
Westminster Police and OC fire Authority paramedics were called to the scene. The emergency authorities performed CPR on the victim. He was then transported to a hospital. The victim later died at the hospital from of his major head injuries. He was a 34 year old Westminster resident.
He was later found at the Posse Bar in Westminster. Employees of the bar recognized the suspect and called Westminster Police around 9:16 the Friday after the accident. The suspect tried to leave the bar, but he was stopped by employees and patrons in the parking lot. Police officers identified the suspected and arrested him in the parking lot. He was booked for main slaughter and felony hit and run.
Police are asking for more information related to the incident. Individuals with more information should contact the Westminster Police Department Traffic Decision or the Orange County Crime stoppers.
Unfortunately, every year a large of number of pedestrians die in traffic crashes. Many more are injured, and these injuries are often fatal. Pedestrians are more susceptible to traffic crashes because they are so vulnerable.
Here are some pedestrian safety tips:
- You should only cross the street in the designated crosswalk. Drivers may not see you if you do not walk in the crosswalk.
- Be especially careful at busy intersections. Many drivers fail to yield to pedestrians. You may also be in a driver’s blind spot.
- At night, you should wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight. Lights make you more visible to drivers.
- You should walk on the sidewalk. If you have to walk in the street, walk against traffic.
- If you have children, make sure they walk closely with you and do not dart out onto the street.
Car accidents involving pedestrians are usually quite serious and often fatal. If you are ever in a car accident, contact a Westminster car accident lawyer. Insurance may be able to cover some of the costs, but a car accident lawyer can help you seek maximum damages for your losses.